20 Nov Decadent Pumpkin Cake – Vegan, Gluten-free
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free, rolled oats
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 table spoons finely ground flax seeds
- 2 table spoons hemp seeds
- 1 table spoon chia seeds
- 1 table spoon wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ tea spoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 ripe banana, mashed *
- 1 cup soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In one bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking powder, flax seeds, hemp
seeds, chia seeds, wheat germ, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, mashed banana, soy milk,
olive oil and maple syrup, and mix well.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Grease baking pan with extra virgin olive oil.
- Pour the contents into a baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, and start checking if cake is ready at the 25
minute mark. You may insert a toothpick or a fork in the center of the cake, and if it
comes out clean, you’ll know the cake is done!
- After removing it from the oven, let the cake cool down completely.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Spread the desired frosting (suggestion below!) and enjoy.
* if you desire a non-vegan recipe with eggs, instead of banana and soy (or other) milk,
you can mix 4 eggs
Vegan Vanilla + Coconut Sugar Frosting
- 1/4 cup coconut pure and unrefined sugar
- 3 Tbsp vegan buttery spread (I use Earth Balance)
- 2 Tbsp soy milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- Mix coconut sugar, vegan buttery spread, vanilla extract and soy milk in a bowl with an
electric mixer or in a blender (starting at low speed and gradually increasing it).
- You know you are done when you achieve a smooth, somewhat thick consistency. To
achieve desired thickness and sweetness, feel free to tweak soy milk, sugar and/or vegan
spread quantities, as needed.
- Spread the frosting evenly on the cake and let it sit. Optional: you may put toasted
unsweetened coconut flakes on top of the frosting.