17 Oct Lentil Soup
*note: All (or as many as possible) of my ingredients are organic.
- 2 cups dry lentils
- ½ cup spinach
- 5-10 cherry tomatoes
- 5 cups water (note: you may wish to modify slightly to your taste and desirable consistency)
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth (note: you may wish to modify slightly to your taste and desirable
- 1.5 medium to large carrots
- ½-1 bell pepper
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp salt (may modify to taste or exclude if problems with elevated blood pressure)
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- In a large pot, heat extra virgin olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chopped bell peppers and chopped carrots.
- Stir for a few minutes and add a little water or vegetable broth, as needed.
- Add dry lentils, followed by the rest of the water and vegetable broth.
- Add chopped spinach and cherry tomato slices.
- Continue stirring and bring to a boil.
- Add cardamom, dried basil, coriander and salt and mix well.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, or longer, if needed.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes.