- Olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/3 to ½ of a large onion
- 500g sauerkraut
- ½ teaspoon MSG-free vegeta (alternative: a pinch of salt)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of ginger powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Cut up ½ of an onion into small pieces.
- Put a small amount of olive oil or avocado oil in a large pan and put on low-medium heat.
- Sautee onions in olive oil.
- Add sauerkraut and evenly distribute.
- Add the spices and mix well.
Cook for 15 minutes or until done.
I tried your recipe and my family really liked it. I never thought to add ginger and turmeric, but we really liked the addition of these two healthy spices. Even our young granddaughters liked it.
Thank you for sharing – I’m so happy to hear that!
Hi Dr. Bojana,
Thank you for sharing your modified family recipe. If I prepare this according to your directions, can I leave this on the counter for further fermentation and if so, for how long?
Great question Robin! Cooking kills the bacteria, so in order to derive the most benefit from the good bacteria, it is preferred that sauerkraut be eaten raw (to learn more, read this: https://drbojana.com/benefits-of-sauerkraut/). That being said, safety is of paramount importance when doing the fermentation process yourself. Some references on this topic include: https://foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Fermented_Vegetables.pdf and https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resource/Safely%20Fermenting%20Food%20at%20Home%20508.pdf.