06 Sep Facts You Need To Know About Vitamin D
- Vitamin D is needed for bone strength, and may be helpful in boosting immune function and reducing the risks of some types of cancer.
- Sources of Vitamin D:
- Sun exposure (be mindful of overexposure to the sun)
- Fatty fish
- Egg yolks
- Fortified foods
- Vitamin D supplements:
- The recommended daily supplement amount for healthy people between the ages of 19-70 years of age is 600 IU of Vitamin D3, provided that they do not have a vitamin D deficiency or vitamin D absorption problems.
- If you have a Vitamin D deficiency, or have vitamin D absorption problems, you may need a higher daily dose.
- If you are over the age of 70 and healthy, with no vitamin D deficiency, you should be taking 800 IU of Vitamin D3 daily.
Please consult your physician before making any decisions about vitamin D supplementation or if you believe you may have a vitamin D deficiency.