20 Aug How to Sleep Your Way to Wellness
Why is sleep important?
- Reduces fatigue
- Reduces anxiety
- Reduces risk of depression
- Boosts immune function
- Suppresses excessive appetite we get from sleep deprivation
- Improves learning ability and memory
How You Can Improve Your Sleeping Habits:
- During the day:
- Have a daily exercise routine
- Ideally no caffeine at all (or at least no caffeine after noon)
- No alcohol
- Your last meal should be light and approximately 3 hours before bedtime
- Before bedtime:
- Create a bedtime ritual like doing meditation, taking a bath, taking a walk, and reading a book.
- Do not exercise or watch TV right before bedtime.
If you are still having difficulty establishing a healthy sleep routine, you can:
- Consult with your health care provider
- Consider cognitive behavioral therapy for sleep (in person or online)
- Consider herbal remedies (or medications as needed, as a last resort; to be used at lowest effective dose, as infrequently as possible) after consulting with your doctor